Department News & Information
RETURN TO NEWS INDEX
City of Fountain Valley - Police Department
Jul 19, 2012
Massage Business Compliance Checks
On July 17, 2012, Fountain Valley Police Detectives, Code Enforcement, Business Licensing and Employment Enforcement Task Force Detectives conducted business compliance checks at seven businesses that offer massage services. These business compliance checks are part of our efforts to ensure the businesses offering massage services are not fronts for prostitution... and human trafficking and are complying with labor, health and building laws.
The Detectives conducted compliance checks at the following locations:
Happy Massage 10505 Slater Avenue
California Massage and Tan 16567 Brookhurst Street
Sun Massage 17941 Magnolia
Royal Spa 8602 Warner Avenue
Healthy Way Center 9053 Garfield Avenue
H2O Massage 17431 Brookhurst Street
Joy Spa 16337 Harbor Boulevard
The Detectives discovered a variety of Labor Code and illegal tenant improvement violations at the businesses. Additional investigation, including audits, will be conducted to determine the extent of Labor Code violations and in order to bring the businesses back into compliance. The following violations were observed by the Detectives:
1. Happy Massage (formerly known as Airbrush Tanning & Spa) - no Worker’s Compensation insurance and illegal tenant improvements. The illegal tenant improvements included plumbing, venting and electrical additions and the installation of a table shower. The illegal drainage from the table shower caused damage to an adjacent business.
2. California Massage & Tan – no Worker’s Compensation insurance and failing to provide employees with itemized wage statements as part of their paycheck.
3. Sun Massage – The Labor Department was already investigating this business for Worker’s Compensation and wage statement violations.
4. Royal Spa – Referred to the Employment Development Department for an audit.
5. Healthy Way Center – no Worker’s Compensation insurance and illegal signage.
6. H2O Massage – no Worker’s Compensation insurance and failing to provide employees with itemized wage statements as part of their paycheck.
7. Joy Spa – no Worker’s Compensation and minimum wage violations.
Investigations conducted by the Employment Enforcement Task Force Detectives will take approximately 90 days and may result in substantial fines. Fountain Valley Police Detectives will continue to monitor these businesses to ensure future compliance with the law.
Captain Mike Simko
FVPD Case Number: July 19,
RETURN TO NEWS INDEX